Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Thursday, January 07, 2010

Child Welfare 302: Working with Birth Parents - Part 3

Note: Here's one of those social wrecker blogs which I have been reading for a while, where earlier today the following was posted.

Child Welfare 302: Working with Birth Parents - Part 3

In this particular post she begins with...
This post is going to focus on the challenges of working with birth parents towards reunification with the added twist of being a relative foster parent. Overall, I think that these situations - where a child is placed within the family and is able to maintain contact no matter the outcome - are generally in the best interests of the child. However, sorting out all the feelings, boundaries, and roles in foster care is hard enough without the blur that actually being related brings to the picture!


Note: What she doesn't understand is that the real problem is that real parents don't particularly appreciate the fact that some twenty something year old social worker with no children and no parenting experience of any kind is there telling them how to raise their kids...

or rather deciding who gets to raise their kids for them under her terms as if she's the all wise and powerful parenting and extended family relationship guru.

2 comments:

  1. Oh LK, what you don't understand is that I don't think I'm the "all wise and powerful parenting and extended family relationship guru". I think that I'm a person who cares about children, parents, and wants them to be together and healthy. I give advise on what I have seen work I have seen work in the past. If you want to put down everyone who tries to help - go right ahead. And please, keep sending people over to my blog so that they can see that some socal workers actually care about people! I'm gonna keep working for change positively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure you are SWeetie.

    ReplyDelete

Guess what

It Could Happen To You