Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Monday, July 26, 2010

How to lie to a child in foster care about their situation

Daddy's View: A conversation with Jae

Jae: "I don't even know why I'm in foster care, it's so confusing. Do you know why I'm here?"
Brian: "Because it wasn't safe for you to be at your house anymore, Jae."
Jae: "But I felt safe, who says it's not safe?"
Brian: "The people who's job it is to keep you safe."

Note: I have become obligated to respond to a comment.
LK,
I am sorry if you have had a bad experience with the foster care system. But the fact is, is that it is necessary. If you knew some of the situations that children in our home had come out of, you would cringe - or at least you should.

I realize that the system isn't perfect - but if your alternative suggestion is that we leave children in homes where they will be killed or starved, then I think you've got some work to do on your argument.

We are simply doing our best to help and to love kids who cannot be at home right now. I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate that - I'm not asking you to. But I do request that you not use any of my blog posts on your blog without my express permission, and that you not slander my family for trying to do a good thing.

Thank you,
Maggie Popp
The original clip here honestly reminds me of a personal conversation I once had with my favorite babystealer and my total inspiration for Legally Kidnapped (yes you Sara) after flat out asking her, "What do you tell these kids about their situations?"

Her response was as canned as this foster dad's. "We tell them that we just want them to be safe."

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me, this is what is called a crock of shit.

First of all, kids are no safer in foster care then they are in their own homes. They're more likely to be drugged with psyche meds, they lack stability and bounce from home to home and school to school with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a trash bag or two of their personal belongings in toe. They're not only kept from their parents, but are often separated from their grandparents, siblings and any other family member who loves them. And there are all of these kind and loving people out there who just care for and love the children for the sort time that they are in their homes. And although every single one of them acknowledges that there are problems with the system, not one of them has ever seen a kid who was wrongfully removed and didn't really need to be in foster care.

"Oh it doesn't happen around here."

It's no wonder that by the time they're teenagers, a lot of them will be all doped in a group home.

Yet I'm the bad guy for using their own words against them like they did to me and I would imagine, do to you. I'm committing slander against somebody who indirectly tells a kid that their mommy is a dangerous person to be around.

You know, I don't set out to offend people, but I'm not going to avoid saying something just because it will. I learned a long time ago that you're not going to have an open and honest conversation about this issue without pissing somebody off. And I'm sorry if some foster parent or child welfare worker gets upset because I link to them, but in all honesty, they don't give a hoot about how you real parents feel, for if they did, they certainly wouldn't be bragging about their righteous and saintly work on a blog, now would they? Especially when they don't have enough faith in humanity to believe that just maybe this kid did feel safe in his own home and is simply suffering from some abuse caused form of PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, ADHD, or RAD that had nothing to do with their time in the system or being ripped from their mothers arms, but instead should all be blamed on the parents.

That said, I know there are good foster parents out there who only want to help. I also know that there are bad ones. I know that there are good workers out there. I also know that there are bad ones. For a real parent or a foster child, it's like being forced into an out of control game of Russian Roulette. If you get a good one, you're lucky. If you get a bad one, you're screwed. Not to mention that telling the kids that they just want them to be safe helps to instill fear in the children in regards to their parents, I suppose helping along the parental alienation process, making way for the dreams of forever homes. Kids view it like this. Being kept safe from their parents means that their parents are bad people.

Perhaps it would be better to say something like, "I'm sure your mommy misses and loves you too, but she just can't take care of you right now." Instead they say, "Because it wasn't safe for you to be at your house anymore, Jae."

I think this kids words say it all. "But I felt safe, who says it's not safe?" This kid tells them that they're full of bologna in his own words, and it's a loving cute moment. I tell them the same thing in my own words, and I'm a horrible person for doing so.

I can't win either way.

So be it.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:49 AM

    Why do you think this is lying to the child. You can't even know this child or his situation, so are you trying to say you are sure he WAS safe at home and is now being lied to??? Yes, there are issues with the system, as there are with any system, but when there are good, loving people who really care for these children and try to make a difference in their lives, DON'T misrepresent their situations on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You people misrepresent our situations all the time. Sure a lot of it comes from what the nice social workers tell you, but still. You can't know all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LK,
    I am sorry if you have had a bad experience with the foster care system. But the fact is, is that it is necessary. If you knew some of the situations that children in our home had come out of, you would cringe - or at least you should.

    I realize that the system isn't perfect - but if your alternative suggestion is that we leave children in homes where they will be killed or starved, then I think you've got some work to do on your argument.

    We are simply doing our best to help and to love kids who cannot be at home right now. I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate that - I'm not asking you to. But I do request that you not use any of my blog posts on your blog without my express permission, and that you not slander my family for trying to do a good thing.

    Thank you,
    Maggie Popp

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are only about transparency and accountability. If you do not subscribe to this doctrine, then I suggest you refrain from public use of social networks.

    Your secret is about to be revealed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LK - Just curious...what is your end-goal in all of this? What specific things are you trying to accomplish in regards to the way foster care works? I can tell you are very passionate about this blog, but what are you doing to change foster care? -Crayon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spreading awareness.

    That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Foster parents do not know the real reason a child was removed if there even was a real reason or concern. They are basing their knowledge on what the social worker tells them. While I am sure some people want to believe that social workers are truthful to all parties, experience has proven that the foster parents are being played for fools. Social workers do not want parents and foster parents to be on the same side. This does not suit their purpose. A foster parent who is willing to assist the social worker in alienating any child from his natural family is not doing anything in the best interest of the child. My opinion is that if a child asked a foster parent why they are in their care the foster parent should respond that the people at the child protection agency felt the child was not safe at home. Put the blame or reason where it lies. It is the agency that removed the child from the home and they should be held accountable for the reason. The foster parent should not pass judgment on the natural family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:34 AM

    Why does LK think the FP is lying. Well for one Maggie is a foster care SW, who has already emotionally abused this child by expelling his brother (Zee) from their home. The Kansas foster system which is one of the most corrupt in the nation has already removed him from another abusive care home as well. Further these FPs have lied to the boys by keeping the knowledge that they are going to be moved from them.
    The real truth is that the social worker told the judge you'd be better off in a different home - possibly exaggerating the facts some - and your mom's lawyer and your lawyer didn't fight that because (1) they didn't review the case with their clients before the hearing and (2)they didn't bother to investigate it either. If you want you can call your lawyer and tell him about what you want.

    ReplyDelete

Guess what

It Could Happen To You