Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Thursday, November 15, 2018

I’m Adopted, But I Won’t Be Celebrating National Adoption Month

Everyone asks me ― an adoptee ― what I’m doing to celebrate National Adoption Awareness Month. As if I should rejoice each November because I’m so “lucky” to have been adopted.

But to me, this month feels like being at a wild party and losing something in the crowd. You try calling for help ― asking others to join in your search ― but the music and festivities drown out your voice. Your interruption is not only unwanted; it is unacknowledged. This party is not for you.

The name itself irks me. National Adoption Awareness Month. I don’t believe our country is generally unaware of adoption. The practice has been happening everywhere in various forms since ancient times. America’s first modern adoption law dates back to the 19th century. Today people seem well versed in the popular “rescuer and rescued” adoption narrative. We don’t need a month, week or day to celebrate this.

More >> I’m Adopted, But I Won’t Be Celebrating National Adoption Month

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guess what

It Could Happen To You