Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Saturday, May 24, 2014

Fighting to protect youth in foster care from sex trafficking


When I became Chairman of the Ways and Means Subcommittee on Human Resources at the beginning of this Congress, I had already seen more victims of the horrors of sex trafficking than most people see in several lifetimes. For 33 years, I worked in law enforcement, including as the lead detective on the Green River Killer serial murder case and later becoming King County Sheriff in Washington state. For twenty years, I tragically collected the bodies of young women, girls really, who had become victims twice over – once from their circumstances which had pushed them into the arms of pimps and life on the streets, and the second time from crossing the path of an evil and sadistic man who took their lives. When we closed the case on the Green River Killer, Gary Ridgway pled guilty to 49 murders and likely killed at least 20 more. So for me, sex trafficking isn’t just something I have chosen arbitrarily to combat, it is extremely personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guess what

It Could Happen To You