Legally Kidnapped

Shattering Your Child Welfare Delusions Since 2007


Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Constitutional Claims For and Against the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978

Constitutional Claims For and Against the Indian Child Welfare Act of 1978

During the Indian Adoption Project in the 1960s and 1970s, social workers removed almost 35% of all Indian children from their homes and relocated them to non-tribal environments. In 1978 Congress passed The Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA) in an effort to restore tribal sovereignty and to redress the devastating effects that the Indian Adoption Project had on tribal communities and Indian families. The ICWA discourages out-of-tribe adoptions by mandating placement preferences for Indian children and gives tribal courts power to hear and to determine the outcome of cases involving their members.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunatly I know all to well about how it feels. I am native american ( can't prove it because of my adoption) CPS pulled my brother and I and while I had a great adoptive home. I have always felt as if I was given the short end of the stick, I never got to celebrate my heritage or learn from the elders. In these cituations Native's call these children "Lost Birds".... I say they may be lost birds but they wouldn't have stayed away had CPS not clipped their wings.....

    ReplyDelete

Guess what

It Could Happen To You